Travelling and working at the same time ... an attractive and modern idea. Many of us work all day in front of a computer screen. The computer allows us to perform tasks and communicate with others. In many cases, our physical presence in the workplace is no longer essential. This is why more and more people are working from home or a coffee shop.
In the winter of 2015, I discovered while browsing the Internet, the world of Digital Nomads. There is a growing community of people who travel around the world and work remotely. Some are employees, many are entrepreneurs. I was thrilled, I had to try. Three months later, my flat in Montréal, Québec, was taken by the owner and all my furniture were sold or stored. On May 3, 2015, I embarked on a plane to Europe and I began a journey without a fixed date of return.
My name is Pierre-Philippe Emond. I am a web developer with ten years of experience. I own Studio OL, a Montreal agency specialized in web development. I programmed dozens of Web sites and applications. I have also been working for several years on a PHP framework that I intend to launch as an open-source project when completed.
This blog reflects my discoveries, changes, successes and difficulties during this journey around the world.
President and co-founder of Studio OL January 2012 to today
- Manager of the company and Web projects manager
- Vice President from February 2015 to November 2015
- President and sole shareholder since November 2015
Guest speaker at the Summer Jam Croatia August 2015
- Workshop on entrepreneurship given to european students
Web teacher at Ladies Learning Code April 2015
- Workshop on Responsive Web integration
Web developer and project manager for the website of the TV series VolteFace October 2014 to February 2015
- Nominated at Prix Numix 2015 and Prix Gémeaux 2015
Web trainer at Institut supérieur d’informatique February 2013, January 2014 and May 2014
- 45 hours course on SEO
Web Developer and co-initiator of the website Liberaux.net May to August 2012
- More than 300 000 visitors during the 2012 Québec election campaign
Multimedia Technician at Cirque du Soleil December 2007 to July 2009
- Equipement installation and location, video editing
Analyst at Vidéotron June 2007 to December 2007
- Development of the LNP_WNP Portal, a PHP intranet
Parti Québécois candidate in d’Arcy Mcgee in the election of 2007 February and March 2007
President and founder of Production Ombres et Lumières, now Studio OL January 2007 to December 2012
Studies in Film Production at the Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema of Univeristy Concordia September 2004 to December 2006
Assistant-teacher at École de technologie supérieure 2004 to 2005
- Two courses of 90 minutes per academic session on video shooting and video editing
Director, cameraman and editor of the documentary Bière - Le film May 2003
- Winner of the Best Documentary at the "11e Festival Intercollégial du cinéma étudiant at Cégep de Saint-Jérôme" and the "Grand prix du jury Festival En Cannes 2003 at Cégep de Saint-Laurent"
Director, cameraman and editor Groupe Idiot Fortier 2003 to 2010
- Intervention in more than fifty short humorous film projects